They report to the Sec of State….
The offices provide a multitude of services for America including travel assistance , foreign affairs, immigration, military , intelligence and other functions and services…
The ambassador is a good will person representing the United States but also must manage a mini America on foreign soil….
It is customary for President’s to place politically well known supporters in some of thoe positions…
Biden administration officials are weighing nominating prominent Republicans to ambassadorships — including Cindy McCain and former Republican Sen. Jeff Flake — to highlight the importance of bipartisanship in U.S. foreign policy, according to people familiar with their thoughts.
Why it matters: President Biden hasn’t put any Republicans in his Cabinet, but a move like this would symbolize a return to the Truman-era adage that partisan politics stops “at the water’s edge.”
- It also would signal to other nations the Trump era is over, and Biden speaks for all Americans, not just Democrats.
- In addition, the potential nominations of two Arizona Republicans who clashed with former President Trump and endorsed Biden could boost Democrats, signaling a big-tent approach in a once-red state the new president won by some 10,000 votes.
- Biden aides say it’s premature to discuss either name, and no decisions have been made about ambassadorships.
What we are hearing: McCain, the widow of Sen. John McCain, has been discussed for the United Kingdom, while Flake has been mentioned for South Africa, as well as postings in Europe.
- Competition for plum ambassadorships, especially in Western Europe, will be intense, with Biden officials already hinting they won’t appoint as many donors as previous presidents.
- Cindy McCain, who testified to Biden’s strengths during a speech at the Democratic National Convention, is likely to end up with an ambassadorship of some kind, though London isn’t guaranteed.
- In addition to being the spouse of the 2008 Republican presidential nominee, she has been a prominent Republican figure herself nationally.
- Flake cast himself as a traditional Republican and emerged as a critic of Trump. He served as a Mormon missionary to South Africa as well as Zimbabwe…..