Kinda THOUGHT this would be what Joe Biden’s VP pick was down to….
Karen Bass had a bad week….
We’d think she was goner….
I still believe the pick SHOULD be Rice….
Confidants of Joe Biden believe his choices for vice president have narrowed to Sen. Kamala Harris and Susan Rice — and would be surprised if he picks anyone else.
The state of play: This is a snapshot of the nearly unanimous read that we get from more than a dozen people close to him.
- Of course, it comes with a giant asterisk: Only Biden knows for sure, and the more insiders know, the less they say to reporters.
- He’s not expected to announce his choice for another week or so — the Democratic convention begins Aug. 17 — so that reality could certainly change.
What’s happening: The campaign is now in methodical mode as it finalizes vetting, looks at internal polling results on potential picks and talks to finalists one-on-one.
- In third place is Rep. Karen Bass (D-Calif.), who had a faltering performing on the Sunday shows after revelations about her past views on Cuba and Scientology.
The case for Harris: Biden’s brain trust — Steve Ricchetti, Mike Donilon and Ted Kaufman — skew older and have deep and trusting relationships with many of the Obama and Clinton veterans who are advocating for Harris.
- It rests in part on her prosecutorial skills, which could help her attack the Trump administration with discipline.
The case for Rice: Rice is getting a big bounce from Obama people who claim her presence on the ticket would guarantee the enthusiastic presence of both Barack and Michelle Obama on the campaign trail.
- If the contest comes down to a popularity contest with Obama alumni, Rice has an edge — and Rice allies point to her White House experience….
image…US Daily Report.Com