It is a little more than. a year out from Election Day
He DID WIN the race against Donald Trump by a nice margin…..
Yes his poll numbers show he’s ahead of Trump even now with his mid 40’s approval numbers….
And Yes last years midterm elections WHERE a Good surprise…..
Yes the Republican front runner IS working HARD to get to NOT just get charged with crimes….
But also to get convicted….
ALL this does seem to give comfort to a 80 year old guy that probably does NOT want to knock himself out campaigning for a job contract extension while running the country and dealing with the crazies in the Congress….
At some point?
Joseph R. Biden is gonna have to get out and ACTIVELY campaign….
Hillary Clinton THOUGHT she had it sewed up….
Look what we’ve had to endure because she lost…
President Biden is betting that 2024 voters will prefer continuity over Republican disruption, so he’ll ask for a second term by emphasizing what he did in his first — and campaigning on largely the same proposals he ran on in 2020.
Why it matters: His approach is in stark contrast to former President Trump, the leading GOP candidate, who has published a sweeping far-right agenda that would dramatically increase his own power.
- Biden’s campaign website does not include an issues page for his second-term agenda. He’s expected to offer more details about his plans as the general election approaches.
- For now Biden’s team is focusing on Republican policies, blasting the GOP’s “extreme MAGA agenda.”
- Front and center in their effort: highlighting GOP-led bans on abortion and general Republican opposition to assault weapons bans.
The big picture: Biden’s decision to run on his past legislative victories such as the bipartisan infrastructure law and his climate and health care bill — rather than make big promises for new policies — reflects his top advisers’ confidence that the country is heading in the right direction.
- But that approach — which the campaign has framed as “finish the job” — has risks.
- Two-thirds of Americans believe the country is on the “wrong track,” more than on Election Day in 2020. Biden’s approval rating is stuck in the low 40’s — better than Trump’s, but not by much. If the economy slips into a recession, Biden’s numbers could dip…..
Hollywood mogul Jeffrey Katzenberg “has joined with other advisers in counseling President Biden to ‘own’ his age and turn it into an asset,” the Wall Street Journalreports.
“If Harrison Ford, 80 years old, can star in a new Indiana Jones movie and the Rolling Stones’ Mick Jagger, who turns 80 next month, can strut around a stadium stage, Katzenberg says, then Biden should lean into his longevity as a sign of wisdom and experience while offering a sense of humor about it.”
Daily Beast: “Yes, abortion will motivate many Democrats to vote. Of course many moderates remain repulsed by Trump. But junk fees? Democrats are betting Republicans won’t have a good answer why they think you should face a surprise cost when you want to, say, book a vacation.”
“And more than just winning over voters because they’re trying to save consumers a few bucks, Democrats think the issue can actually be revealing of the GOP’s pro-corporate ideology… It’s niche, but it’s tangible—and his allies say that’s by design.”