Biden has been answering the Trump & Co. attacks….
The Republicans ARE hosting a show and Biden has been marginalised …
Pre-Virus campaigns would have Biden traveling around the country to keep the convention noise going….
Some Democrats have been pushing Biden to get out on the road …..
The worry about the virus considerations seems to be seen as holding Biden back from reaching out the voters…
And beginning to hurt his polling numbers….
Biden at the virtual Democratic National Convention. Photo: David Cliff/NurPhoto via Getty Images
Joe Biden announced plans on Thursday to start traveling to swing states, promising not to violate “state rules about how many people can in fact assemble.”
Why it matters: Biden’s announcement comes after Axios first reported that the campaign was considering how to travel in a way that honored local regulations while reaching voters in important states.
- As some polls suggest Biden’s lead is narrowing, some Democrats worry that President Trump could gain a tactical advantage at crunch time if he’s campaigning in person and Biden’s only out there virtually.
- Still, many Biden advisers remain convinced that there’s a strategic benefit to drawing a sharp contrast with President Trump when it comes to curbing travel and social distancing — as well as a public health benefit.
What he’s saying: “We plan on, without jeopardizing or violating state rules about how many people can in fact assemble,” Biden told a group of donors, according to reporters present. “One of the things we’re thinking about is I’m going to be going up to Wisconsin, and Minnesota, spending time in Pennsylvania, out in Arizona.”
- “But we’re going to do it in a way that is totally consistent with being responsible, unlike what this guy’s doing,” Biden added, referring to Trump. “He’s on the White House lawn tonight first of all violating the Hatch Act. Virtually throwing every major rule in the dustbin … he’s totally irresponsible.”
- “I’m going to be traveling throughout the country where I can do it consistent with the state rules about how many people can be assembled.”
Biden continued: “I’m a tactile politician. I really miss being able to, you know, grab hands, shake hands, you can’t do that now. But I can in fact appear beyond virtually, in person, in many of these places.”
- Biden said his campaign would get out and meet people in communities and local businesses, not at “irresponsible rallies.”
Between the lines: Biden has been saying for months that he’d only travel if it’s medically safe, as he seeks to draw a contrast with Trump, who has addressed rallies during the pandemic and who has had live audiences for Republican National Convention events this week.
- But Biden campaign officials have long said they would reevaluate their travel posture around Labor Day and let the virus dictate whether and where it’s safe to fly.
- Biden likely will opt for some short trips — but not like Trump.
- He also is likely to scrap any potential plans if doctors and scientists advise against them…..
Further thought on this…
In 2016 Donald Trump levraged crowds and traveling to swing states closing in on the election…
Last night disregarding the virus , his handlers gave him what he needed….
One can expect that despite the media carping about virus safety?
Trump WILL be performing before crowds more often coming up on the election…
Joe Biden’s people ARE going to HAVE TO find a way to match this…
I have no idea….
But Biden and the world CANNOT afford to have the virus hand Trump 4 more years….
bottom image…CNN screen grab