President Biden rolled out his Infrastructure proposal with tax hikes to pay for things….
It WAS supposed to also undo some the 2017 Trump/Republican tax reform thing that actually was a giveaway for the rich and corporations …
THAT is NOT gonna happen it appears….
Biden and Republicans want a a deal to take home to voters….
He NEEDS Republicans and Blue Dog Democrats….
Things will go from there…
Since electric cars don’t run on gas which IS Federally taxed?
They WOULD be taxed if the compromise bill Republican Senator Susan Collins is fronting…..
And she wants to redirect Covid authorised money to the infrastructure since the pandemic seems to be subsiding….
Sen. Susan Collins (R-Maine) told Sunday’s “Face the Nation” that the new tentative infrastructure deal from a group of bipartisan senators will not include a gas tax hike or any reversal of former President Donald Trump’s 2017 tax reform bill.
Why it matters: The group of 10 senators announced the success of their infrastructure negotiations on Thursday, but did not elaborate on how the bill would be paid for except to say it would “not include tax increases.”
The big picture: Collins, one of the 10 senators involved in the deal’s drafting, gave additional details about the three ways in which the the agreement would be paid.
- Collins said that there should be a repurposing of unused COVID-19 relief funds for infrastructure projects.
- Another funding avenue would be the creation of an infrastructure financing authority, which she described as “very similar to the state revolving funds that we used for sewer and water projects.”
- The deal, though it wouldn’t include a gas tax increase, would also include a provision to tax electric cars to ensure they pay for their “fair share of of using our roads and bridges,” she said.
What she’s saying: “There won’t be a debt — a gas tax increase, and we won’t be undoing the 2017 tax reform bill,” Collins said.
- Collins added she had spoken to senators who are “enthusiastic about the prospect” of repurposing COVID relief funds.
- “Right now, they are literally free riders because they’re not paying any gas tax,” she said of electric vehicle owners….
Pelosi ain’t happy….
“If this (bipartisan plan) is something that can be agreed upon, I don’t know how we can possibly sell it unless we know there is more to come,” Pelosi, a Democrat, told CNN’s “State of the Union.” Biden, she said, has “no intention of abandoning” the rest of his vision.
Pelosi appeared to be hinting at a scenario in which Congress passes a bipartisan infrastructure bill and Democrats then follow up by pushing through a second spending measure using a process called reconciliation, which bypasses Senate rules requiring 60 votes to advance most legislation in the 100-seat chamber.
Collins told CBS that the bipartisan infrastructure plan would be partly paid for by unspent COVID-19 funds: “There’s literally hundreds of billions of dollars in the pipeline.”..