The virus IS on the decline in the United States right now….
In the past week in the U.S….
Among reported tests, the positivity rate was 6.9%.
The number of tests reported fell 12.3% from the previous week.Read more
Since Dec. 14, more than 43,099,000 doses of a covid-19 vaccine have been administered in the U.S.
More than 9,776,000 people have completed vaccination, or about 2.99% of the population. Read more in our vaccination tracker…
Feb. 9, 2021
The State of the Virus
Update for Feb. 8
- Fewer than half as many cases are emerging each day than at the country’s peak a month ago. Deaths remain extremely high.
- Most of the nation is seeing rapid improvement. Forty-four states are reporting sustained declines in new cases. In the other six, case numbers are mostly flat.
- The proliferation of new variants threatens that progress. A highly infectious variant first detected in the United Kingdom is now spreading rapidly in the United States.
- Hawaii, North Dakota and Washington State are adding new cases at the lowest rates in the country. South Carolina, Arkansas and Oklahoma are identifying infections at the highest rates.
- The country continues to ramp up its vaccination effort. About 1.4 million shots are being administered nationwide each day, and nearly 10 percent of the population has received at least one dose….