These are some of the top Bidden admin national security people….
John Kerry will be back getting a government check….
Biden brings back in. a old hand for a piece of foreign affairs…
Smart and reassuring move….
The group is diverse….
- Secretary of State: Tony Blinken
- National Security Adviser: Jake Sullivan
- Director of National Intelligence: Avril Haines
- Department of Homeland Security Secretary: Alejandro Mayorkas
- U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations: Linda Thomas-Greenfield
- Special presidential envoy on climate: John Kerry
Between the lines, via Axios’ Margaret Talev: The list, set to be announced at an event in Delaware on Monday, is a deliberate effort to package nominees in a way that suggests diversity — a “first” for women and Latinos, a Black woman, and a white man.
- Neither Sullivan nor Kerry will have to endure confirmation hearings, but it brings Kerry into the administration in what is likely to be an important role…..
New York Times: “The emerging team reunites a group of former senior officials from the Obama administration, most of whom worked closely together at the State Department and the White House and in several cases have close ties to Mr. Biden dating back years. They are well known to foreign diplomats around the world and share a belief in the core principles of the Democratic foreign policy establishment — international cooperation, strong U.S. alliances and leadership but a wariness of foreign interventions after the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.”
Biden picks former Fed Chair Janet Yellen for Treasury Sec….