Across America on the whole that’s the poll’s number….
But only 33% of Americans are confident of his ‘goals’ and ‘policies’ as President….
The thing Trump & Co. have to be holding on to is, Republicans voters…
In the poll Trump still has the support of 86% of Republican voters….
His trustworthy and personal standards are not so high….They are at 63% and 53% respectively…..
Even those on the Right NOW seem to understand who they signed up for….
As President Donald Trump begins his third year in office — after the longest shutdown in U.S. history and after another adviser was indicted — our new NBC News/Wall Street Journal pollprovides a check-up on his presidency.
The conclusion: He’s in pretty weak shape.
The best news for Trump in the new NBC/WSJ poll is that his base remains as strong as ever. Eighty-six percent of Republicans approve of the president’s job, versus just 13 percent who disapprove (+73).
By contrast, Democrats are 5 percent approve, 94 percent disapprove (-89), and independents are 39 percent approve, 53 percent disapprove (-14).
And Republicans give Trump high marks (a “4” or “5”) on those presidential qualities:
- being direct and straightforward in communicating with the American people: 82 percent (versus 11 percent among Dems and 41 percent among indies);
- changing business as usual in Washington: 73 percent (versus 11 percent among Dems and 37 percent among indies);
- being effective and getting things done: 75 percent (versus 5 percent among Dems and 35 percent among indies);
- being a good negotiator: 74 percent (versus 5 percent among Dems and 32 percent among indies);
- being steady and reliable: 71 percent (versus 4 percent among Dems and 22 percent among indies);
- being knowledgeable and experienced: 70 percent (versus 4 percent among Dems and 22 percent among indies);
- being honest and trustworthy: 63 percent (versus 3 percent among Dems and 18 percent among indies);
- having high personal and ethical standards: 53 percent (versus 2 percent among Dems and 18 percent among indies).
As Barack Obama discovered, having a strong base can get you through some of the roughest patches of your presidency. But when you’re relying ONLY on your base — and when you’re losing independents by double digits — you’re in big trouble….
Of course these poll numbers will keep some of parties lawmakers supporting him even as they KNOW he’s hurting them individually for the next round of their elections, where they might need Democratic or Independent votes….