The US House Republican are trying to screw Joe Biden with an adavance of money JUST for Israel…
THAT is something the President does NOT need right now…
President Biden vowed on Monday to veto a House Republican bill that would provide $17.6 billion in aid to Israel, calling it a “cynical political maneuver” intended to hurt the chances of passage for broader legislation that would provide money for Israel, Ukraine, Taiwan and the U.S. border.
House Republicans fiercely oppose the larger bill, which was unveiled by a small, bipartisan group of senators over the weekend. It calls for $118.3 billion in spending and would overhaul some of the nation’s immigration laws to deal with recent surges of migrants at the southern border.
Speaker Mike Johnson said on Saturday that Republicans would instead offer the Israel-only funding bill instead.
In its official response on Monday, the Biden administration said the president would veto the House bill if it came to his desk.
“The administration strongly opposes this ploy, which does nothing to secure the border, does nothing to help the people of Ukraine defend themselves against Putin’s aggression, fails to support the security of American synagogues, mosques and vulnerable places of worship, and denies humanitarian assistance to Palestinian civilians, the majority of whom are women and children,” the White House’s Office of Management and Budget said in a statement.
Mr. Johnson called Mr. Biden’s veto threat an “act of betrayal” toward Israel…..
An WashPost Op-Ed ….
- beefing up border security as a condition for giving any more aid to Ukraine (check!)
- a tougher and faster asylum-processing system so that those who don’t meet asylum criteria cannot stay and work for years while their cases crawl through the courts (check!)
- hiring more personnel for Customs and Border Protection as well as Immigration and Customs Enforcement (1,500 and 1,200, respectively — so, check, check!)
- huge investments in fentanyl detection technologies and other anti-trafficking enforcement (check!)
- reviving something like Title 42 restrictions, wherein the president can “shut down” most of the asylum system (though this version doesn’t require a public health pretext and has more severe consequences for border-crossers — so, check-plus, perhaps).