Donald Trump may have just made ANOTHER mistake….
A BIG one…..
His efforts to clear the 2024 feild will go on for the near future….
If the 2022 Midterm’s are any indication?
Beating on DeSantis, Pence and others is just gonna hurt ‘his’ party and soften things up for Democrats…
Donald Trump is whipsawing himself ….
His issues and problems seem to be weighing HEAVILY on his mind….
Former President Trump put himself in a box when he declared on election eve that he would make a “very big announcement” on Nov. 15.
Why it matters: The midterms were a disaster for Republicans and for Trump personally. But because of his pre-midterms promise, Trump felt compelled to barrel ahead with declaring his 2024 presidential campaign on the promised date.
The big picture: Even some of Trump’s own advisers privately acknowledge he has suffered the most significant damage to his political standing since the Jan. 6 Capitol riot.
- The first head-to-head polls coming after the midterms are brutal for Trump. The conservative Club for Growth has released a polling memo showing Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis leading Trump in multiple states.
- And in another poll of likely Republican primary voters in Texas, DeSantis led Trump by 11 percentage points.
Behind the scenes: When Trump teased his rally crowd with his promise of a “very big announcement” on Nov. 15, he was actually offering a compromise to his advisers….
“For some reason it’s just stuck in his head that he’s got to do this,” said another source close to Trump. “And he can’t be talked out it.”
- The source said the worst thing for DeSantis’ prospective presidential campaign would be for Trump to delay running, because DeSantis would then become the de-facto frontrunner and everyone would go after him.
- “The best thing for DeSantis is Trump gets in, DeSantis stays out for a while, and Trump runs a race against himself for the next six months,” the source close to Trump added.
The bottom line: Trump himself apparently never saw retreat from the Nov. 15 announcement as a viable option.
- “I think the people who wanted him to delay the announcement were well intentioned, but just didn’t think it all the way through,” a longtime Trumpworld adviser told Axios.
- “After announcing his announcement, had he delayed it, he would have gotten destroyed in the media for being weak and probably would have caused him even more long-term damage.”