The Texas Federal judge has done Republicans NO favor with a ruling that would end the entire American Healthcare system of Obamacare (The Affordable Healthcare Law)….
His decision is actually going to go nowhere…
It is being looked by BOTH political parties lawmakers and legal people are overly broad legally and insensitive politically….
The big picture: This was an amazingly broad ruling. The judge didn’t just strike down everything that’s related to the individual mandate. He struck down everything, period.
- That includes the parts that everyone likes, like the expansion of Medicaid, young adults staying on their parents’ plans — and, of course, coverage of pre-existing conditions.
- Nothing happens right away. The ruling will be appealed, there’s no injunction to shut down the law right now, and the Trump administration is making it clear the law stays in place for now.
Why it matters: You should take this ruling seriously. It’s getting a lot of criticism from legal experts, including ACA critics, and it could be overturned — but it won’t definitelybe overturned. This really could end with the ACA being wiped out.
- The ACA has already survived two near-death experiences with the Supreme Court — over the mandate in 2012 and subsidies in 2015.
- But that was before the Kavanaugh Court. If this ruling gets that far, the justices could say the ruling went too far and overturn it.
- But there’s no guarantee that a more conservative court won’t just let the law die.
Political fallout: This could be a nightmare for Republicans in suburbs and swing states.
- The midterms proved that the ACA has gotten more popular since the GOP started trying to repeal it — especially the protections for pre-existing conditions.
- If the law goes away, that goes with it. This is not the fight Republicans want to have…..
The Right talks about judicial overeach?
This a prime case by a George HW Bush appointed Federal judge….
The case was just about the healthcare mandate….